Dependent visas are among the visas which may be legally received by foreigners who live in Indonesia. They may be received by eligible spouses or children of the holder of existing visas who also fulfill specific criteria.

The Republic of Indonesia is a country which is located in Southeast Asia between the Indian and Pacific Oceans. Indonesia is the fourth-most populous nation in the world with an approximate population of about 264 million people. It is headed by a president and the citizens are governed by the laws in the constitution. The people are also governed by an elected legislature. The Republic has 34 provinces of which five have special status. Jakarta is the country’s capital. Indonesia is also known to be a country which possesses an abundance of natural resources which include oil, gold, copper, tin, and natural gas as well as important agricultural crops such as rice, palm oil, tea, coffee, rubber, and many more.

The country of Indonesia is also considered by many to be a suitable location in which people from all over the world may choose to work to earn a decent living. For this reason, the country has been able to attract a large number of people from all parts of the world for work purposes. However, before anyone may work in Indonesia, an individual needs a visa so as to avoid being denied entry into the country. Anyone who has already acquired a work visa which is valid in Indonesia and has fulfilled specific criteria may then proceed to utilize a dependent visa in order to bring any eligible family members to Indonesia.

Definition of a Dependent Visa

A dependent visa is a visa which enables the dependent of a person, primarily a spouse or child, to travel to any country in their capacity as a dependent. It should be noted that in most countries, the dependent visa can be used for different purposes. Some might choose to use it for purposes of employment while others may prefer to use it for leisure activities such as vacations.

A dependent visa holder can be allowed into the corresponding country as long as the dependent visa holder adheres to all of the existing visa laws of the country in question. This therefore means that one needs to ensure the visa belonging to the primary visa holder needs to be renewed occasionally so that it does not expire. After the dependent visa expires, an individual becomes liable to certain legal consequences.

In order for one to obtain a valid dependent visa in Indonesia, one must receive approval from the local immigration office, regional immigration office, and Ministry of Law and Human Rights. In this way, a foreigner who is married to an Indonesian citizen and already possesses a valid residence permit may become eligible for a spouse-sponsored dependent visa.

The requirements for application of a visa in Indonesia are the following: a passport which is valid, a completed Indonesia visa interview, a copy of the primary visa holder’s passport, photographs of the primary visa holder and applicant together, a passport-sized photograph of the applicant, and the confirmation page on the online DS-160 form.

However, acquiring a visa is not the only issue which is important in ensuring entry into Indonesia. For one to be accepted into the country, the visa holder is expected to complete a passenger arrival card before passing through customs and passport control. This card is given to

passengers during the flight. After the clearing of passport control, one is to collect luggage and proceeds to customs for further checks. An airport tax of 150,000 rupiah is imposed by airports on departing passengers on international flights and 40,000 rupiah for those on domestic flights.

Visa Laws in Indonesia

Indonesia has a number of laws which govern how visas are given to people. These measures put in place are intended to prohibit illegal movement into and out of the country.

There are a total of 169 countries whose citizens are allowed to enter Indonesia visa-free. This is means that Indonesia is part of a deal with the countries in question in order to permit their citizens to enter the country without necessarily having a visa. They may use their passports at the immigration offices and would be allowed to pass legally. The countries include China, Angola, Chad, Australia, the Bahamas, Belgium, Burkina Faso, Canada, Burundi, as well as many others.

Visitors who would like to visit the country are expected to obtain a visa from one of the Indonesian diplomatic missions unless they come from any of the visa-exempt countries. All visitors must hold a passport valid for six months as well as a valid return ticket. Passports with validity of more than three months can be accepted in special cases or business travels.

Alternatively, foreigners can apply for visit visas from the Indonesian embassy or consulates. The guarantor could apply to the Directorate General of Immigration in Jakarta. This visa is issued with mandatory requirements of application, guarantee letter, passport with a minimum of six months’ validity, copy of bank accounts, return tickets, and re-entry permit. A holder of a visit visa may use it for up to 60 days and can have it extended by an immigration officer up to five times. Each extension will extend the validity period by 30 days.

There is also the Visa on Arrival which is an important documentation in any visit to Indonesia. Citizens of 68 countries may apply for this visa for a length of stay of 30 days at designated entry points by paying 35 US dollars. These countries include Algeria, Greece, Hungary, Egypt, Argentina, and many others.

Indonesia’ government has also instituted the Visa Exemption which allows a person who holds a passport issued by any of 170 jurisdictions to can visit Indonesia without a visa for 30 days. The permitted activities while the passport holder is in Indonesia include tourism as well as work-related activities. Passport holders from all visa-exempt countries can enter Indonesia through one of 124 designated border crossings including 29 airports, 88 seaports, and seven land border checkpoints.

A tourist visa is applicable for people who intend to visit Indonesia for 60 days. One can extend this twice for 30 days each time in a fairly straightforward manner. Therefore, one can effectively use this visa to stay in Indonesia for up to four months.

Should you happen to face any difficulties with the obtaining of any visa which is to be used in Indonesia, we at Paul Hype Page & Co will be able to serve your needs. We will work with you in order to enable you to receive your desired visa in a manner which is in accordance with the laws of Indonesia.

Dependant Visa FAQs

Are local birth certificates required for the children of foreigners who have children in Indonesia?2020-03-25T14:15:40+08:00

For foreigners who give birth in Indonesia, it will be necessary to get a local birth certificate before a foreign passport can be issued for the baby. One will need to apply for a limited stay permit for the baby which will accompany the visa of the working spouse.

How does one become a permanent resident of Indonesia?2020-03-25T14:14:39+08:00

It is possible for any eligible foreigner to obtain permanent resident status in Indonesia. There are two ways through which one can attain it. One of these is through the use of the Izin Tinggal Terbatas (ITAS), which allows holders to live in the country for up to two years and can be renewed up to three times, giving the holder six years of legal residency. The process to acquire an ITAS may take up to four months to be completed.

The second method utilizes the Izin Tinggal Tetap (ITAP) which is less common. One can only acquire this type of permit if one has been an ITAS holder for longer than five consecutive years. It is most commonly used by foreigners with Indonesian spouses who are planning to live in the country permanently.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Go to Top